Sunday, July 12, 2015

Don’t Hate Me Because I Care


John Lennon’s “Imagine” reminds me of prison for two reasons. The first comes from an experience I had when I was 17 years old. I volunteered in my college public speaking class to apply what I was learning by speaking to the inmates of the Utah State Prison. They had a weekly motivational speaker come at that time to address those on good behavior, and my professor just so happened to be a coordinator for the program.

I never actually got to give my speech, but I did go and listen to one of the other speakers a few weeks before I was scheduled to speak myself, as required by my professor to understand the audience. I had to surrender my driver’s license at the visitor’s entrance, replaced by a clip-on, numbered ID badge. I wondered if they would still let me out if I lost it. Then I had followed my professor down the many cement corridors past thick steel bulkheads. I didn’t want them to close while I was in there. Eventually we arrived at the prison chapel, and I sat among the inmates, next to Bo. Bo was in for killing someone. Most of the inmates were friendly and starved for conversation. One showed me his sketch book, mostly pencil drawings of the five books on his shelf. Another offered me guitar lessons after he got out, though it’d be a few years before he did. All were dressed in white, which is why my professor called them “the men in white.” I was wearing a white shirt; I hoped my slacks were enough non-white color to get me out. Eventually, the program started and the prison band played after the introductions were given and a prayer said. The band played “Imagine” by John Lennon.

The speaker was boring and talked about avoiding self-directed pity-parties. I was frankly more interested in watching the guards, one of whom kept walking along the pews and looking anxious. My professor noticed as well. When the speech was finally over, my professor guided him and myself quickly out of the chapel and back through the corridors to the entrance. I was relieved to trade back my numbered ID badge for my driver’s license while the professor talked with the guards. He told me later that one of the inmates had been misplaced and the facility was about to go into lockdown. We just made it out in time. The guards searched my car including the trunk, hood, and undercarriage, and when I drove out of the prison, I was struck by the fact that the road into the prison was better paved than the one leading out of prison.

That was the first reason; it has more to do with association by experience than with the song itself.

The second is purely from the message of the song.

Lennon’s anthem for world unity is ambitious and admirable, but hopelessly tangled up in bad reasoning. “Imagine” invites the listener to picture a world where there are no borders and no causes worth fighting for. His iconic line “Nothing to kill or die for” imagines a world where the conflicts end because there is no cause for contention. But nothing to kill or die for also means nothing to live for. This is not a world of peace, but a world of apathy masquerading as peace. Another problem with this simplistic vision of Lennon’s Utopia is that people die with or without good reasons. Even with nothing to die for, you are still going to die. But if you were willing to die for something, then maybe something is worth more than maintaining your doomed pulse. The heart of conflict is a belief that there is something valuable in the world, the idea that things matter. People fight because people care deeply about things. Asking one to imagine a world without this fuel for conflict not only destroys contention, but also everything worth living for. Unlike animals, humans crave and need a reason for their existence; breathing and breeding are not enough to live for. We must live for something higher to believe that there is true and lasting value in our lives.

But the problems don’t end there:
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

As good as it is for people to live in the moment and appreciate the life around them, paying no attention to the future is a recipe for disaster. “Living for today,” at least in Lennon’s context, permanently disconnects the present from the future. A world without questions about, and faith in, the metaphysical nature of the human soul is one where this world and everything in it is meaningless. Today only means something in the context of yesterday and tomorrow. If people disagree about the nature of the soul and its fate beyond the grave, at least in the midst of the conflict they can appreciate their mutual faith that life is worth living. This very faith is only possible in a consistent manner through a belief in the beyond.

Lennon sings of apathetic inertness, with no spark to separate the living from the dead. There must always be right and wrong, questions about the philosophical nature of man, and a belief in the great beyond. Without these, Lennon’s world is not worth imagining.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

No comments:

Post a Comment